Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What's for Dinner Wednesday!


I would like to make "What's for Dinner Wednesday" a regular feature here at the Savings Swap. If you would like to post a favorite budget friendly recipe on your blog and link to it in the comments that would be great! Or you can post the recipe in the comments or email it to me at TheSavingsSwap@sbcglobal.net


Mac & Cheese with Broccoli & Ham.

4 cups water

3/4 lb elbow macaroni (3 cups)

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

1 tsp cornstarch1 tsp Dijon mustard

1/4 tsp salt

1 box (10 oz) frozen broccoli, thawed

4 oz baked ham, diced

2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend

PREPARATION
1. Bring water, macaroni and 1 cup milk to a boil in a 5-qt Dutch oven, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-high and boil 7 to 8 minutes, stirring, until macaroni is just al dente. 2. Stir remaining milk, cornstarch, mustard and salt in a bowl to blend. 3. Add broccoli and ham to pot. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in milk mixture. Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove pot from heat; stir in cheeses.
From Woman's Day February 12, 2008

The original recipe is here.

I make a few changes to this recipe.
I like to use fresh broccoli for this recipe, I just steam it a bit before adding it. I use 1/4 to 1/2 lb of Turkey ham (from Aldi 1.69/lb.) After mixing everything I put the casserole in a baking pan and sprinkle with a bit of cheese. I bake at 350 until golden and bubbly. We get 2 meals out of this so it is a super one on the budget. I'd love to hear what you're having for dinner!

No comments: